The Association of Practical Theology -
The purpose of the Association of Practical Theology (APT) is to promote critical discourse that integrates theological reflection and practice. Reconstituted from its predecessor organizations 1984, the APT was sparked by the investigation of practical theology as an integrative hermeneutical endeavor at the heart of theological education, characterizing not only the ministerial sub-disciplines but also a manner and method of engaged reflection.
The APT meets annually in conjunction with the AAR as an additional meeting for a two and half hour session and biennially for a three day meeting. The biennial meeting allows the membership to study issues in greater depth and conduct its formal business. The APT welcomes new members from all areas of religious and theological study who have an interest in the critical examination of religious traditions and practices.
The International Academy of Practical Theology
The purpose of the International Academy of Practical Theology is the study of and critical reflection on practical theological thought and action. This critical reflection should be pursued with attention to the various historical and cultural contexts in which practical theology is done. Out of respect for the diversity of these contexts, the Academy seeks to promote international, interracial, and ecumenical dialogue and understanding.
International Society of Empirical Research in Theology
ISERT has a threefold objective:
- offering a platform for the development, execution and evaluation of programs and projects in empirical research both quantitative and qualitative within theology and their theological legitimation
- contributing to the clarification of foundational, epistemological, methodological and conceptual implications of conducting empirical research within theology;
- facilitating an international network for researchers in this field.
British and Irish Association of Practical Theology
Aims of the Association are:
- To advance teaching, learning and research in pastoral studies and practical theology
- To promote contact and exchange between the various contexts of practical theology, education and training.
- To organize events and consultations appropriate to the above.
- To foster international links and activities, especially in collaboration with the International Academy of Practical Theology.
- To encourage interchange between the worlds of practical theology, pastoral care and counseling, and local and national faith communities.
Groupe de Recherche en Theologie Practique
Practical Theology in South Africa/Praktiese Teologie in Suid-Afrika